The period of birth and adolescence involves a lot of susceptibility to various kinds of diseases and disorders. These disorders may affect a child for a lifetime. Thus, it becomes essential for parents to notice any symptoms or problem that the child is facing and report a good pediatrician for consultancy. I
f the symptoms culminate to the result of the child having some disorder, it is vital to get the child treated to eliminate the condition and in some cases, to lessen the child’s suffering with the services of a good pediatrician who will help the child to overcome the effects of these shortcomings.
One such disorder many of the children across the globe have been suffering through is the Cerebral Palsy. The fact that this abnormality is the most common condition in the childhood, it is necessary to know about the ailment.
What Is Cerebral Palsy?
Cerebral palsy is a set of abnormalities that cause the problem in moving and controlling the body movements.
It is a neurological condition which affects the muscle coordination, muscle tone, posture, and body movement. The condition is a result of a brain injury or malformation.
Some brain damage causes Cerebral Palsy, and in most of the occasions, the disorder is developed at an early age in the child, which is usually less than a year. There are degrees of severity levels for the abnormality.
The condition is a non-progressive one, meaning that the disorder does not progress in severity and does not get worse with age and is non-contagious.
Causes Of Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy encompasses several factors that lead to the development of the abnormality. It is known that our muscle control actions take place in the upper part of the brain called the cerebrum.
The cerebrum is responsible for our ability to learn, communication skills and memory. Thus, any damage to the cerebrum within the early ages of childhood, generally up to 5 years from birth, can result in this ailment.
There are many possible reasons for the development of Cerebral Palsy which can be stated as follows:
- Any severe head injury to the infant may lead to the abnormality.
- Cerebral Palsy is also caused due to mutations in the genes that account for abnormal brain development.
- Any hampering the supply of blood to the developing brain of the child can cause the abnormality. In medical terms, it is known as fetal stroke.
- Maternal infections generate problems for the developing fetus and have been one of the reasons that cause Cerebral Palsy. Also, infant infections that cause inflammation in and around the cerebrum part of the brain lead to the development of the disorder.
- The lack of supply of oxygen to the brain that is associated with complications involved while giving birth or difficulty in labor delivery is a reason that results in the disorder. However, cases due to this reason are not prominent.
Symptoms Of Cerebral Palsy
The symptoms of Cerebral Palsy are generally different and vary according to the severity degree of the disorder. Here are a few common symptoms of Cerebral Palsy:
- Lack of muscle movement and muscle coordination (ataxia).
- The disparity in muscle tone, such as being too rigid or too sloppy.
- The exaggeration of reflexes with stiff muscles (spasticity).
- Normal reflexes but stiff muscles (rigidity).
- Involuntary movements.
- Difficulty in walking, eating or sucking, swallowing, sitting up and in movements such as picking up.
- Delayed speech development or problem while speaking.
- The favoring of one part or one side of the body.
Prevention Of Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy can cause difficulty with vision and hearing, oral diseases and much more. Hence, it is necessary to protect your child from the complications and consequences of the abnormality. However, cerebral palsy cannot be particularly prevented, but the risks involved can be lessened.
While heading for pregnancy, taking extreme care of the child and the mother quintessentially.
It is also necessary for the pregnant ladies to get vaccinated against diseases like rubella, which is responsible for fetal brain damage.
Seeking parental care education from a trusted doctor to know the health risks involved is a must; This decreases the possibilities and chances of premature birth, low birth weight, and other infections.
Treatment Of Cerebral Palsy
If the child is a victim of the symptoms and signs of the disorder named Cerebral Palsy then seeking the consultation of a good pediatrician can surely help. Houston Pediatrician, Dr. Pankaj, strongly recommends that you seek medical advice immediately to ensure that your child gets the best treatment.
Cerebral Palsy though causes some difficulties for the child but they tend to have an average lifespan, and in a majority of the Cerebral Palsy cases, one can expect the child to lead a good quality life.